Being a US Citizen living outside the USA I get alot of interesting and sometimes StRAngE questions/comments on the USA from people in other countries. Thought I'd share some of them with you.

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Your chest is in your pants...

Okay. So I haven't blogged in a while. No time. Still no internet connection at home. (the joys of living in a developing nation). I'm now looking into satelite-based ADSL... and keeping my fingers crossed.

I have a Thai coworker/friend who has found herself involved (although from a great distance) with an American guy. She lives here, he lives there. So they are basically adult pen-pals. So I'm getting asked, as the resident American in my office, to help her understand some of the language this guy is using when they talk/sms/email/chat etc. Here are some samples:

"I'm desperate for you!" Doesn't make any sense in Thai. So I had to explain it metaphorically... A guy in the desert for days would be desperate for water. So similarly a guy who hasn't seen his honey for days would be desperate for her.

Then came the question... "Does that refer to sex because I know all Americans have a lot of sex right?" Um... er... ah... not the type of question I'm used to at the office. So, I said it could be both physical and social. A good, suitably generic, non-commital answer.

Then came the question... "Why does he keep talking about taking cold showers? Don't you have hot water in America?" Um... er... ah... [Lord help me]... Well, sure we have hot water. Think of it this way, if you have a headache or a muscle spasm, you put ice on it to make it feel better and reduce swelling. So, in his "desperation" maybe he's alluding to needing to cool off his "ache" for you? [whew!!! a narrow escape that one]

Then came the question... "What does it mean to get in someone's pants?" ***GREAT GOOGELY MOOGELY*** How do I answer this one diplomatically? I said I'd get back to her. They don't play baseball in Thailand. So, alluding to 3rd Base has no meaning. So, what did I tell her was ...

I said, think of it as a treasure chest...
[blank stare from my coworker]
...the treasure is in the chest...
[more blank staring]
... um... the chest is your pants.
"My chest is in my pants?"
... no no no! The treasure is in the chest and your pants ARE the chest...
"So the treasure is in my chest and my pants are where?"
... No! Listen. The treasure... it's in the chest... your pants are the chest and they contain the treasure!!! Thus, what is in your pants is the treasure! He wants to get in your chest...er... pants to get to your treasure! Understand??!!!
"OH! So he's talking about my {oyster}?!!"
That's part of it I'm sure.
"So he's saying he wants to have sex?"
Quite possibly yes.
"But my {butt} is in my pants too. You mean he wants to sex my {butt}?!!!"
NOTE: Thai's tend to be very literal.
NOTE2: A word in {} means the Thai word was used and I've translated it.
I don't know. Maybe? Maybe you should be asking him these questions?
"Oh no. I can't do that."
Why not?
"Because it's not proper for Thai ladies to talk about these things with people they like."
...um... ouch.

7 Comments:

Blogger Biscuit said...

*snort* I thought it was {clam}???

1:19 AM

 
Blogger Memphis said...

You are having way too much fun at work!

4:56 AM

 
Blogger Samantha Alice said...

{oyster} - ew. So glad I'm hetero - I just don't know what you guys see in {oysters}. Blech.

But I'm a very happy girls that Don loves {oysters}!!!

This is tooooo funny. How often do they tease you for not "getting" the Thai-think?

5:25 PM

 
Blogger Suthnuh said...

Clam, Oyster, not much difference.

Fun at work... pretty constant, and there's no such thing as too much! Makes up for all the stress!

How often do they tease? Usually its me teasing them, but now everyone (female) at work calls me "Honey" because they've just recently figured out that's a term of endearment and they tease me unmercifully about it everytime I talk to my wife on the phone. To them honey has always been something you put in tea.

5:35 PM

 
Blogger Biscuit said...

See if you can get "monkey butt" going around Thailand!

6:13 PM

 
Blogger KellyKline said...

Oh yeah, Monkey Butt would be a big hit, eh? You could tell them it means sweetheart and see how quickly it spreads throughout the Thai culture. You could start a new thing, Chris - you could become infamous! The next best thing to being famous!

7:08 PM

 
Blogger Suthnuh said...

Monkey butt? I read that on her majesty's blog. That was funny! Not sure how it'll go over in Thailand. I'll give 'er a go and let you know.

8:19 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home