Being a US Citizen living outside the USA I get alot of interesting and sometimes StRAngE questions/comments on the USA from people in other countries. Thought I'd share some of them with you.

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

School Daze

Well my daughter is back to school today, second term of K-1.

I guess before I talk more about the first day back I should explain to ya'll back home that Thailand (and most Asian countries) are not on the same school calendar that we have in the USA. Their 1st Semester (term) starts in May. Mid-year break is in September/October, then the 2nd Semester goes until end of March. (April is high summer in Thailand).

She really didn't want to go back. She clung to Mommy's arm out to the car. Sat looking depressed on the way to the school without uttering a word. Then clung to Mommy's arm again as we walked to the admin offices... until she saw all the other kids playing in the school yard. At which time Mommy had to cling to Marisa's arm up to the admin office, and all the way to the classroom so we could meet the teacher and deposit Marisa's bookbag with all the other bags. Then we had to cling to her arm again on the walk back to the school yard. At the first oppotunity she took off running to find kids her size to play with.

We stood and watched as the bell rang and all the kids formed into lines by classroom. The Thai flag was raised and all the kids sang the national anthem (Thai that is), and marched off to class to begin the second half of the school year.

I love coming home from work and having Marisa (daughter) run up screaming "Papa!" and tell me all about what she learned, or what games she played, or what friends she played with that day at school. Granted K-1 is the equivalent of Pre-School in the USA, but it's still fun to listen to her.

Now finally, Mommy gets some peace and quiet from about 0800 to 1500 for another few months... excepting for the other child (my son) who is now 6 months old. She looked at me and sighed, and I looked at her and said, "Only 20 more years to go honey, then we can relax free and clear again."

8 Comments:

Blogger Biscuit said...

We want pictures!!!

Twenty more years, that's all. Sounds kind of like a prison sentence, LOL! JUST KIDDING! If Steve comes around and sees that, I'll be in trouble.

1:30 AM

 
Blogger Memphis said...

You're so lucky to have a family. I have a wife who wants a car and 2 cats who want food and a lap. Yeeha. Where did I go wrong?

4:53 AM

 
Blogger Memphis said...

Oh, and JY, I came around and saw that. I'm gonna give you a big thong-wedgie at Klinapalooza!

4:54 AM

 
Blogger Biscuit said...

Only if my, uh, oyster, is all better after the Magic Powder incident. Otherwise, I won't be wearing any :)

5:18 AM

 
Blogger Samantha Alice said...

What Jen said!!! And it's not 20 more years - you can boot those little rugrats out the door while they are still in the delightful throes of adolescence at 18! I've already gotten rid of 3 stepkids and my firstborn...

Just kidding, really... it's magical, isn't it? Steve, have faith, make the move to Fayetteville, and get to it!

5:28 PM

 
Blogger KellyKline said...

Hey boy, where you been?!!!

Maybe we should market a calendar ... kinda like an advent calendar, only for parents waiting for the empty nest. With mile-markers like first day of kindergarten, and instead of a little chocolate candy, you get to have a fifth of Jim Beam. For "first date" you get to go to the titty bar and have a lap dance, for "oldest kid goes to prom" you get a new car, for "youngest kid goes to prom" you get to pass out drunk on a street corner. Y'know, the finer things in life.

7:04 PM

 
Blogger thehipster said...

I just discovered you had a blog. I guess I haven't been paying attention.

There is nothing like a playground to make a kid happy about going to school.

8:25 PM

 
Blogger thehipster said...

I forgot to say this, but the other blog about "translating" for your co-worker was hysterical. It made me think about my brother-in-law's wife who is Korean. Every once and while you say something and she looks at you like your nuts and then you realize she is trying to figure out what your talking about.

8:28 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home