Being a US Citizen living outside the USA I get alot of interesting and sometimes StRAngE questions/comments on the USA from people in other countries. Thought I'd share some of them with you.

Sunday, March 19, 2006

Letting Sleeping Dragons Lie...

Lets go back to previous emails about relationships and hypothetical situations... um... really hypothetical... seriously... no really!

(Actually, it is. It's based on conversations I've had with friends [male and female] over the last few years that I've pulled together here since I've recently been reminded of them.)

So what do you do when you know someone, a friend, acqaintance, or coworker, and are interested in them and they don't know? Do you approach it? Do you risk it? or - Do you let sleeping dragons lie?

There's no easy way is there? You either have to ask the question or simply forget about it. There's no way to get that person to answer the question without giving yourself away right? What do you do when you seem to have such a dynamic and fun rapore with someone, and so many common interests, but there's that thin wall in the way of full realization?

How do you get that person to know without actually having to say IT?

How do you get beyond the friendly jokes and shoulder-to-cry-on "buddy" relationship?

How do you make that person "figure it out"?

You know, women think men are dumb when it comes to this stuff, but you ladies are often many times worse. Why? Because you rely on your male "buddies" for the tearful times, the shoulder-to-cry-on times, the shitty times when some other guy has just ripped out your heart... again... and we just wanna go beat the snot out of him, and provide you with a firm hug, comfort and understanding while you're either soaking our shirt with tears, or drowning your sorrows in a beer with us at the bar. Do you have any idea how hard that is?

We're your safety net. We're the ones you talk to when you need real advice. We're the ones you go to when you need to understand what "HE" means by some comment "HE" made, or when you need to understand what it is "HE" is doing that's making you so miserable. We're the ones who'll still be there for all those things 5, 10, 20 years later when "HE" is nothing but a scar and a faded memory. We're the nice guys.

So anyway... this isn't meant as a bitch session. Just an eye opener. Guys screw up and get hurt all the time, we just don't dump on other people about it. Not that that's a bad thing, it's just hard sometimes ALWAYS being the dumpee and seeing people you care about get hurt over and over again.

Hmmmm..? So how did I go from unrequited love to the perils of Mr. Niceguy? Well, they're both related in a way. Nice guys are usually thinking something like: You know, if you'd just give me half of what you gave him... - or - I won't rip your heart out every-other-week like the guys you keep pursuing. - or - ...you get the idea. But you know, we like that you rely on us for those times when you need someone to tell you it'll be okay. We want to be your shoulder when you need it. It's just the way we're made.

So, it's that thing about watching someone pursue something that is almost completely unattainable, either because of distance, or involvement, or some other reason, vs. just looking over your should to see the one standing there. Taking the next step beyond friendship and risk screwing up the whole thing, or just let sleeping dragons lie.

But this is all just hypothetical... right?

7 Comments:

Blogger Biscuit said...

Um...just hypothetically, of course...I've heard from *friends* that those girls feel reeeeeeeeally stupid.

7:38 PM

 
Blogger Pam said...

I get what you are saying but I have had male friends do the same thing to me and sometimes I wish I had not let the sleeping dragon lie but then so many of us are not risk takers...

The older we get the more we see things in a different light and can look back and think dayuuum....

Great post!

Hugs

Pam

10:52 PM

 
Blogger Siren said...

When I met Tim, we were both married to other people. In fact, being poly, my husband was dating his wife, and I was dating someone else. My relationships with both my husband and boyfriend were not going well, and I was not looking to start anything, so he and I became friends. Yeah, I cried on his shoulder a lot. And he listened... a lot. And he gave me advice and held my hand. And one day I looked up into his eyes and said (and I quote) "Oh shit! This wasn't supposed to happen. I think I'm in love with you!"

To which he replied, "I know," and planted a kiss on me that I felt in my toes. I later dumped the hubby, worked things out with the boyfriend, and married Tim.

So you see? The good guy sometimes wins, whether or not he says "IT!" Sometimes she just comes around.

2:10 AM

 
Blogger KellyKline said...

Hmmm ... hypothetically? Well, I'd say time heals all wounds and the good guy eventually wins. At least that's how it works out in the movies.

9:11 PM

 
Blogger thehipster said...

Okay, for those of who have dumped on you in the past I'm sorry. Though you know I dated you first and then dumped so I'm not sure that counts.

I have always wondered how my "niceguy" is doing. I adored him but I couldn't fall "in love" with no matter how much I wanted too.
Though I should point out I married a guy that fell into the niceguy territory for other women, but not me. I went hook, line and sinker form the first kiss.

1:33 AM

 
Blogger Samantha Alice said...

Would it help you to know many of us had such debasing, degradingly low self-esteem that we didn't think we deserved nice guys, which is one (of many) reasons why we went for the cretins who would treat us in the manner we thought we deserved?

Thanksfully, only took me one really, reallllly bad marriage to get better- and 4 years of therapy.

Do you think you might be poly, too?

6:18 AM

 
Blogger Suthnuh said...

JY: The key is, did your "friends" learn from the experience. I think "they" did. :P

Lola: Yep! I may be nearsighted but hindsight is definitely 20/20!

Siren: Glad to know it does happen! :-)

Kelly: Yep! Time. Defitely the ultimate arbiter. Just wish it didn't take some people so much "Time" to figure out they're allowed to be happy.

Hipster: HEY! I was speaking hypothetically... really! No seriously. You know, I think one of the cool things about when we were all growing up is that even though many of us dated each other and broke up, dated others, broke up, got back together, etc. We were all still friends. Too bad it can't be that way for everyone.

Sammy: Yeah I understand that, I guess a related point is trying to help *friends* understand they don't need to feel that way about themselves. That they really are worthwhile. That's why they are friends, because we've seen their worth even if they haven't.

Me Poly? Hmmmm... thought about it. I think I have too large a guilt complex, I'd probably have a stroke if I tried getting into that no matter how enjoyable it was. I think I'll stick to living vicariously through my friends for now. Who knows what the future will bring though right?

11:29 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home