Being a US Citizen living outside the USA I get alot of interesting and sometimes StRAngE questions/comments on the USA from people in other countries. Thought I'd share some of them with you.

Sunday, July 01, 2007

Done Deal!

Well, I/We have our tickets. We're heading back. For those of you who asked (sorry it's taken so long to respond) "here" means H'patch. We'll be arriving on 1 August after a 25 hour trip from the other side of the planet. Our household items should arrive sometime before Christmas. You've heard of "taking the slow boat to China"? Well, it's that same boat that freights everything to the USA as well.

Apparently, all the delays and consternation in trying to work out the transfer offers over here in Asia have all been because of a global hiring freeze in the IT department the global CIO only just recently told everyone about. So, what have I been waiting for all this time?

Time to get on with life.

We've got a renter for our house over here (Thailand) for the next 12 months. HOORAY! That certainly makes things a bit easier now that we don't have to worry about the house being unattended. And we'll make it back to the USA just barely in time to get the kids in school by the 8 August start date! (assuming we've all recovered from the massive jet lag of moving almost exactly half-way around the world.

Steve: To answer your previous question; I'm in IT same as you. Formerly a network engineer and system architect. Microsloth and Cisco certified. Now though, I mostly manage the people conducting the day-to-day operations. The last couple years have been spent as the regional contract manager for Asia-Pacific for all the IT outsourcing contracts... 45 contracts across 11 countries, at 24 business units with 6 major suppliers. After that, I think everythings going to feel like a much slower pace, and I'll be happy to have a bit more personal time.

So, looking forward to getting home, and hope to see all of you again soon!!!!

Cheers!

5 Comments:

Blogger KellyKline said...

Wow! That's AWESOME!!! I'm so glad you're going to be back in the States and able to attend our get-togethers ... uh ... you WILL be able to attend our get-togethers, right?!

11:22 AM

 
Blogger Samantha Alice said...

Congrats, I know you've been wanting this. I'll be long gone by the time you get back, but if you're ever in Germany (well, ever before July 2010), you can give me a holla!

Hope you guys have a nice, smooth transition.

9:05 PM

 
Blogger Crazy Lady said...

While your friends are happy to welcome you back to States, I am a friend in Thailand is sad to see you are leaving. Understand that you need more your personal life which is very hard to find here in our work environment. In another side I am also happy to see you are moving back to your hometown where should be the best place for every one. I believe that we will keep in touch and in communicatation. Wish you all the good luck and success in your new life.

9:34 AM

 
Blogger Suthnuh said...

KK: Yes. Definitely able to attend!

Sam: I am sooooooo envious! Nothing like a good sweinhocksen and a dunkels to finish off a day with!

Chica Loco (crazy lady): Thanks! We'll definitely be staying in touch! I'll need a drinking buddy when I come back to visit next year. ;-)

12:37 PM

 
Blogger Biscuit said...

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY! I was just asking Kelly over the weekend if she knew anything. So glad we'll get to see you. Now I just need to get my ass back there...

5:48 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home