Being a US Citizen living outside the USA I get alot of interesting and sometimes StRAngE questions/comments on the USA from people in other countries. Thought I'd share some of them with you.

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Outside Looking Inside

Just letting you all know, as I'm sure you have heard on the news there has been a military coup d'etat in Thailand.

My company has closed until we understand what's happening. Bangkok is under martial law, but it's very peacefull. No shots fired and largely has the support of the Thai people after what PM Thaksin has done to this country for the last 5 years.

We're okay. Very far from the action. Schools are open. It's only the businesses that are impacted. I'll keep you posted and I'm working from home.

You know this is my third coup d'etat! I was in Indonesia when Suhuarto was deposed (that was dangerous). I was in Pakistan with Musharif took over (that was peaceful), and now Thailand. This should also be peacefull, though we'll see how it goes after Thaksin returns from New York and the UN HQ.

Thaksin, as a graduate of the academy has always enjoyed the 100% support of the National Police and some of the more junior Army commanders (Lt. Cols and Brigadiers). The coup Leader, General Sonthi is, from all accounts a good man, more tending to negotiation and planning than shoot first ask questions later. Hopefully it remains that way.

Love to all, Suthnuh

5 Comments:

Blogger thehipster said...

I got worried when I saw the news. Keep us updated. I'm glad everything is peaceful so far.

8:10 AM

 
Blogger KellyKline said...

I thought about you and was really worried when I heard the news today... SO glad to hear from you and to know that you're ok.

8:33 AM

 
Blogger Biscuit said...

Glad you're okay! Keep us posted. Love you!

9:01 AM

 
Blogger Samantha Alice said...

You must have published this two minutes after I last checked on you - thanks for checking in with us, we're all worried for you. Stay safe!

11:46 AM

 
Blogger Siren said...

Thanks for letting us know you are safe. I keep hearing the news reports and they have been getting increasingly alarmist. (thanks BBC America!) It's good to know you're away from the action.

Now if we can just get news that friends in Budapest are safe as well.

5:43 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home