Being a US Citizen living outside the USA I get alot of interesting and sometimes StRAngE questions/comments on the USA from people in other countries. Thought I'd share some of them with you.

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Kit mai auk!

"Kit mai auk" is Thai language for 'I don't know what to think' meaning I don't really have anything to blog about today. So instead I'll just share with you a pic of my house in Thailand.

If the picture looks a little funny it's because I had to splice 3 different images together to get the whole front in one image.

Things we have had to do to the house to live here?

1. Install whole house water filtration system (you don't drink the water in Thailand!)

2. Install a 5 stage filter in the kitchen for drinking water (works great! I've tested it and it actually tests cleaner than evian and other bottled waters)

3. Have all the locks on all the upstairs exterior doors and windows replaced. (original builder used cheap aliminum crap that warped in the tropical heat and broke apart. Now we have good stainless steel)

4. Replaced all the doorknobs on the exterior doors downstairs (again, cheap local materials replaced with good imported Yale locks and knobs. Nothin' like a good nobbin'!) ;-)

5. Lots of other minor little stuff like plumbing, toilets, new floors in bathrooms, new water pump, new shower fixtures, some nice good quality built-ins in the master BR. that kind of thing.

One thing about homes in Thailand. They're tough. The are made of solid concrete with rebar reinforcement. The places are pretty sound proof other than what comes through the doors. The floors take getting used to... no carptet. All our floors (even the baths) are polished granite. Looks great, easy to clean, but hell on your feet until you get used to it.

There's no such thing as central air. Every room has it's own A/C and compressor (my house has 5). You keep them turned off if you aren't in the room!

There's no central hot water heater. Every where you want hot water you install a mini "flash" water heater (that's a heating element that heats water quickly) so there's only one water supply pipe per bathroom, which reduces material costs. I love those little heaters! They fit under the sink cause they're just a little bigger than a shoe box, and you aren't paying for water or gas to constantly reheat the same water in a tank over and over.

I hate our kitchen. Well, I hate one of them. I'd barely call it a kitchen. It's HUGE, but it's completely disfunctional. It has no oven. It has no overhead fan. It has no real stove (just a little two burner cooktop). If we weren't selling the place we'd have it all torn out and a new one put in with real cabinets and stuff! When I say I hate one of them it's because most Thai houses have two - one inside, one outside. The outside one is covered and semi enclosed and is where 99% of all the real action is. Thai food can be very... um... aromatic so they do most cooking outside.

See, these houses if you buy them new are simply empty shells. No hot water, no A/C, no kitchen fixtures, no closets or storage, just walls with doors and windows in them. That way the buyer can fit the house out the way they want. Most Thais don't install A/C, and many time not even hot water. No thanks!

So there you go. For a guy who had nothing to say those are a lot of... um... words?

8 Comments:

Blogger Biscuit said...

See? You DID have something to say! I love seeing where you live. Your house is for some reason reminding me of New Orleans. In a good way, not in a Katrina devastation way.

Sooooo, you're selling, eh?

6:21 PM

 
Blogger Suthnuh said...

I guess I did after all. :-)

I never thought about it but I see what you mean about the New Orleans thing - the balcony, the iron fence, the two-tone coloring.

Yep we are selling... well... we're trying to sell. The market here is barely regulated and this is the low season, and the gov't has screwed the whole foreign ownership thing - f*ckers. Long story. We'll head back the H'patch once the house sells. :-)

9:10 PM

 
Blogger larrykim said...

i like that house.. it reminds me of new orleans too... without the naked boobs... it has got a lot of character, looks like it would be a great house to live in. sorry you have to sell it...

4:25 AM

 
Blogger KellyKline said...

Your house looks very cool. Good job splicing the images!

Mmmm I guess ... kit mai auk!

11:37 PM

 
Blogger Suthnuh said...

Suthnuh: ...?... oh, that's me.

Larry: The naked boobs can be found around the corner and just down the street. ;-)

Kelly: Since when did you not know what to think?

9:06 AM

 
Blogger Biscuit said...

pssst...Rob is looking at jobs in Huntsville. Doesn't mean it will actually happen, but it closer than we've ever come before. Baby steps...

5:15 AM

 
Blogger Samantha Alice said...

Wow, it's really beautiful. What will you do back in Huntspatch? Is Sunisa excited about moving to America? How does the education system compare? Marisa will be starting kindergarten, won't she?

Ironic. I'm joining the Army and moving away, and I'll probably end up at a base near MD right after Biscuit moves back home. Dammitall.

11:05 AM

 
Blogger KellyKline said...

I was singing "I Was Made For Lovin' You" while working in the kitchen the other day. Katie and Anna thought it was the funniest song ever ... of course, it probably didn't help that I was singing it in a high, squeaky voice and chasing them around.
Just sayin'.

8:21 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home