Being a US Citizen living outside the USA I get alot of interesting and sometimes StRAngE questions/comments on the USA from people in other countries. Thought I'd share some of them with you.

Sunday, August 27, 2006

Oh yeah! That reminds me of...

Just curious, but do the rest of you have music that brings back such specific and strong memories you can actually feel them?
I have several like that.

The earliest I can remember a song affecting me that way is (and don't laugh) Ray Parker Jr's "The Other Woman"... when I hear that song I can literally smell the chlorine in the pool outside the apartment back around 1982.

They don't even have to be really good songs, they just apparently were branded in my brain by circumstance like that stupid "Putin' on the Ritz" remake by Taco or whatever his name was. That one seems to bring back memories of the musty hallways of Grissom HS.

Then another one is "The Bird" by The Time. Remember that one from Purple Rain? I can still feel the wind in hair as we went flying down the road, all windows open, flappin' our arms outside, and laughin' our asses off. Um... names of other dudes in the car withheld to protect the guilty.

And speaking of Purple Rain... "Go Crazy"... THAT song brings back some memories that I won't discuss here... along with a strange scent of... menthol? Don't ask.

Then there's "My best friends Girlfriend" by The Cars. Weirdly enough that was the very first song that came on the radio as my best friend and I, who hadn't spoken for a month after he started dating my ex-gf... before she was my ex-gf. It's okay folks - he didn't know she was my gf at the time... but the bitch knew he was my friend... but anyway. he and I looked at each other rolled our eyes and just laughed. I can still feel that moment, the click of the radio, the hum of the tires on the road, the feel of the seat. Weird.

So those are a few of mine. What about you?

12 Comments:

Blogger KellyKline said...

"Let's go crazy! Let's get NUTS!"

Remember me rolling down the hill at USA?

This is a great topic - I'm gonna post about it on my blog later. Right now I gotta go get ready to go to schoooool!

7:24 PM

 
Blogger Suthnuh said...

USA? Don't you live in the USA... last time I looked at a map there's an awful lot of hills in there which one did you mean?

OOOoooooh YEAH!!! THAT USA!

Yes I do remember that event. Didn't you have to have your wrist wrapped afterward? I also must admit I still like tartan plaids. ;-)

8:00 PM

 
Blogger KellyKline said...

Do you remember the teddy bear I used to sleep with? His name was Sirhcy Laen. Remember? I found him last week ... I tried to wash him. =sigh= His innards were all over my washing machine when I went to take him out. Wah!

5:58 AM

 
Blogger Suthnuh said...

I remember the bear. I'm trying to remember the story behind the name...there was a story to it wasn't there?

And the washing should be done by hand for fragile aging teddy bears. Kinda like um... aging ex's? ;-)

11:08 PM

 
Blogger larrykim said...

i love putting on the ritz, and it is by taco. it is in my ipod. but, i don't smell anything when i hear that song... i just want to dance.

actually, i guess a lot of songs make me want to dance... i am not gay though... well, at least i don't think i am gay...

1:57 AM

 
Blogger Suthnuh said...

LARRY! Dude! Next time I get back there I'm gonna have to get a "I Party with Larry" shirt!

Then maybe we can both dance to Taco and that silly-assed song. (If JY can still do the "Safety Dance" I don't see why the rest of us can't Wang Chung Tonight)

Cheers!

8:54 AM

 
Blogger Biscuit said...

I have no recollection of the Safety Dance. That's my story.

6:24 PM

 
Blogger Siren said...

Every time I hear the Eagles' "Hotel California" I am right back, sitting on the floor of my sister's bedroom playing it on her record player and talking about music.

And every time I hear Tom Petty's "Here Comes My Girl" I'm back in the A.V. room at Grissom dissing my friends for liking Lover Boy and Journey but not liking Tom Petty. (I have since been vindicated in the court of music career longevity.)

And the Cars' "Candy O" has me cruising around town in the summertime in my old '66 Mustang with no air conditioning in the middle of summer before I started college.

4:28 AM

 
Blogger Suthnuh said...

JY: I have a couple other initials for you "B" and "S". And no, the B doesn't stand for Bueller. ;-)

Siren: Strangely enough I'm in a Journey phase right now. I even have a couple Loverboy tunes on my mp3 player. But I'm also in a KISS, Boston, Kansas, Toto, Petty, Orbison, Yes, Aldo Nova, Ratt, ZZ, phase as well.

6:02 PM

 
Blogger KellyKline said...

Yes, there's a story behind the bear's name. Remove the "y" from the end of the first name and then read both of the names backwards.

Remember now?

8:28 PM

 
Blogger Suthnuh said...

Arrgh! Duh! I knew I was looking at something familiar. Man do I feel bmudy! :-D

9:14 AM

 
Blogger Samantha Alice said...

There are songs from the 70's that put me back at the RSA Officer's Club swimming pool.

Anything from "Thriller" or "Purple Rain" brings me back to Jamming in the lunchroom...

11:12 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home