Being a US Citizen living outside the USA I get alot of interesting and sometimes StRAngE questions/comments on the USA from people in other countries. Thought I'd share some of them with you.

Friday, September 08, 2006

A chicken says what?

Well since I started this blog to talk about life in Asia in general, and Thailand in specific, here are a few gems to keep you occupied, satisfied, and probably a little mystified! True tales of cultural conantidisunambiguity. - Cheers!

Shanghai'd In Shanghai
I had to stay one more night so I could complete the work I was there for before leaving. That evening I called down to the reception.
"Neehow, good evening sir, how may I help you?"
"Hi, I need to stay one more night, will that be okay?"
"Excuse please?"
"I need to stay one more night, is that possible?"
"How may I help you?"
"I just need to stay another night for work."
"I see... and how may I help you?"
"I want to stay one more night here to finish work!"
"You check-out tomorrow sir."
"Yes, I know but I need to stay one more night."
"So you will leave and come back then sir?"
"What?! No no! I just want to stay another night for God's sake!"
"Please wait a moment sir." followed by the wonderful musical hold.
"Neehow, good evening sir. How may I help you?"
"I'm just trying to extend my stay for one more night."
"Oh, I see, you check out Friday night?"
"NO! Please. I want to check out on Saturday morning."
"So you will stay on more night sir?"
"YES! Thank you, yes. I stay an extra night here."
"But you check out tomorrow sir?"
"AGH! GOD! Please, try to understand this: I only want to SLEEP in this hotel for one more night. That's all!"
"Please wait a moment sir..." and the joys of muzak continued.
**************

Tripping the light fantastic...
A buddy I used to work with had never been to Thailand and came to visit a while back. So, naturally I took him around to Pattaya for drinks and er... drinks.

Jeff wound up meeting a very cute petit Thai woman and they ended up spending the night together. When he met me for breakfast the next morning he was rather glowing and full of himself and regailed me with tales of his newfound prowess and the young woman's energetic and encouraging screams of "Oh Jep! Jep! Jep!" He thought he was a superstar with a new fan club.

Sadly, I had to take the wind from his sails and inform him "jep" in Thai means "painful"!!!
*******
I've got tons more of these stories... some I better not share if I ever want to run for office... but yeah... it's definitely not dull over here!

4 Comments:

Blogger Biscuit said...

You can just wait and tell us in person. We won't rat you out when you run for president ;)

6:44 PM

 
Blogger Samantha Alice said...

Oh, my. That's almost not funny...

7:05 PM

 
Blogger KellyKline said...

Believe it or not, I had a hard time in London - y'know, where we speak almost the same language! Of course, I speak Suthuhn, so maybe it's a tad more confusing. But all I wanted was for the concierge to tell where I could buy some diapers. Di-puhs? Yes, diapers. Di-puhs, whot ah di-puhs? Uh ... you know ... you put them on baby's butts to catch the pee and poop? OH! Nappies! Yes, nappies!
And so on and so forth.

7:21 PM

 
Blogger Suthnuh said...

SA: Yep. ...almost. ;-)

K: Yeah. I've had to learn a whole mess of UK and Assie lingo over here. samples?
Diapers: nappies or pampers
Pacifier: Plom or paci (passee)
Elevator: Lift
Baby Stroller: Pram
Friend: mate
Mate (wife): Bird
Cigarette: Fag
Fag (homosexual): poof
Transexual: Katoey (Thai), Lady of the second category (UK)
Beer: piss (Aussie)
Taking the piss outa ya: Aussie slang for putting someone in their place (a putdown) but generally good natured.


Here's a good one for ya... one of the biggest superstars in Thailand (also made it big in the USA with the song "Sexy,Naughty,Bitchy") is named Tata Young.

Okay international travelers, what's another slang spanish term for a woman's breasts? You got it, Tata's. (sounds like Tah Tah)

8:48 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home