Being a US Citizen living outside the USA I get alot of interesting and sometimes StRAngE questions/comments on the USA from people in other countries. Thought I'd share some of them with you.

Monday, July 16, 2007

AT LAST!


Well today the moving company confirmed the date. Our stuff (at least what we are shipping back) will be loaded on the truck and sent to the port on 23 July! That's only 1 week from tomorrow! Then only 1 week after that we'll take off on our 24 hour oddessy back to the USA and all new and wonderful stresses, trials and tribulations. I can't wait! :-)
It's really sad that we haven't been able to sell this house here in Thailand. It may be even more sad we can't just take it with us, it's been a great home. Of course living in a house made of concrete instead of wood comes with a whole different set of issues, but it's been a very good home.
Oh yes... over here everything's built with steel reinforced concrete and brick. My house has pyramidal footers that run 3+ meters underground to reduce shifting (because concret doesn't flex right?) It's great when you have small kids though because it's a lot more sound-proof!
One thing I've always liked about the way things are done in Asia is there's no central water heater. Every bathroom and kitchen has it's own miniature tankless water heater. These things are great! No long waits for the water to run through the houses pipes to get wherever you want the hot water, and they don't waste energy constantly reheating a tank full of water. Conversely, one thing I really DON'T like in asia is there's no central A/C. Every room where you want A/C has it's own unit. That's wasteful also since each one of them uses almost as much power as a single central air unit in the USA. Oh well, everthing has pros and cons right?
Someday in the future the Thai government may loosen the restrictions on foreign ownership of detached homes and we can sell this place. Until then we're stuck with it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Siren said...

Move to Florida. Everything down here is concrete block. And we have central A/C (we just put in a 17-seer unit). And Tim & I just installed a new propane tankless water heater that ROCKS!

Actually, you can find the last two of those anywhere. I'd just like to have someone I grew up with down here with me before we're all over 70.

When you find your house here in the States, get your energy company to do an evaluation and tell you what you can do to save energy. We cut the bill for our new 1900 sq ft house down to what they were in our old 1000 sq ft house.

8:31 AM

 
Blogger thehipster said...

My sister loves her tankless water heater too. One drawback though she has been through three of them in a year. Thank heavens for warrantees.

8:57 AM

 
Blogger Suthnuh said...

Siren: I'd love to live in FL, for some reason though I never seem to be able to find work there. And I forgot about the hurrican-safe construction in FL... makes sense in the Gulf area.

Hipster: Wow. That's bad. The ones we have in our house here (4 of them) are all 4 years old with no problems (yet). Hope she gets a good one this time around.

I always prefer electric appliances... don't like gas because it was a gas furnace that burned my house down when I was 8.

10:45 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home