Being a US Citizen living outside the USA I get alot of interesting and sometimes StRAngE questions/comments on the USA from people in other countries. Thought I'd share some of them with you.

Friday, July 20, 2007

Mohammed now #2 boy’s name in UK.


Interesting title yes? I found the article posted on the Daily Adult Joke blog.


***

Didn’t take long. The Islamization of Europe is proceeding apace.

"Muhammad is now second only to Jack as the most popular name for baby boys in Britain and is likely to rise to No 1 by next year, a study by The Times has found. The name, if all 14 different spellings are included, was shared by 5,991 newborn boys last year, beating Thomas into third place, followed by Joshua and Oliver.
Scholars said that the name’s rise up the league table was driven partly by the growing number of young Muslims having families, coupled with the desire to name their child in honour of the Prophet."

***

So, if this is true, this is going to make things interesting in the school classrooms...

1. Taking attendance? Mohammed? "here"; Muhamed? "here"' Muhammud? "here"; Muhommed? "here"... etc.

2. Class photos? They'll be blank because everyone knows it's against Islamic law to create images of Mohammed, right?

3. School Lunch Menu? "What's this?" "It's a hamburger." "But I can't eat ham." "It's made of beef." "Oh. So it's a beefburger?" "No. It's a hamburger." "But you just said it was made of beef?" "Yes. It's a hamburger made of beef." "But there's no ham?" "No." "Then why is it a 'hamburger' and not a beefburger?" "Because it was invented in Hamburg, Germany you idiot!" "Oh. I see.... Is it Halal?" "AAAAAAAARRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrgh!"

Useless Holiday Photos

Don't get me wrong, I have no predjudice againts followers of Islam. I have many very good friends who are Muslims. I do however think some people carry things a bit too far. Christians, Jews, Hindus, and buddhists can be just as guilty of this. Reading that article though... it just seemed funny when I started thinking about it. ;-)

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Samantha Alice said...

Well, I'm Pagan and I named my daughter Rhiannon, so I guess I can't say too much there - except that I wouldn't have named her that if there were going to be 5,990 other Rhiannons floating around the same year. Ick. Remember all the David Michaels and Scott Michaels and David Scotts and other permutations of the three when we were in school?

5:00 PM

 
Blogger KellyKline said...

ARE YOU HERE YET?

11:05 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home