Being a US Citizen living outside the USA I get alot of interesting and sometimes StRAngE questions/comments on the USA from people in other countries. Thought I'd share some of them with you.

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad Lib

After reading Steve's recent venture into auto-generating Top Ten Steveishness miscilani I was reminded of what I think was one of the most fun learning tools ever... I rank them right up there with School House Rock (I'm just a bill, Conjunction Junction, VERB!, etc.)... I'm refering to Mad Libs. Those were wackiest most fun ways to learn I can recall. Do they still sell them? I checked... There are ONLINE versions! I'm so stoked! These make great drinking games too!

So, for those of you who don't know Mad Libs are short one page stories full of blanks. You're supposed to fill in the blanks with a partner who asks you for things like an adjective, adverb, or exclamation without letting you know the context of the story. Then when the blanks are all filled the friend reads back the story in all its wacky freakishness. You wind up with something like this:

Copernicus

Four hundred years ago people knew little about our studly universe. They thought that the earth was the center of the entire Whopper and that the sun and all of the minarets revolved around it. But then a Fijian named Copernicus discovered the truth. The earth revolves around the boob 3.14159265 times a year.
Copernicus, whose last name was Farquard, was born in Warsaw, and he used one of the first hoopy telescopes, which was invented by Pias. This primitive telescope was little more than two pieces of bananna stuck on each end of a brick. In 1600 an Italian Zambonier named Galileo expanded Copernicus's equitable theories, but during the Inquisition in Italy he was blessedly arrested. After F*cking for six months in jail, Galileo was forced to stop.

"Copernicus" from Mad Libs From Outer Spaceby Roger Price and Leonard Sternฉ 2001 Price Stern Sloan, a division of Penguin Putnam Inc.All rights reserved.

2 Comments:

Blogger Memphis said...

I think I may copy this idea and do one myself. Too much fun!

2:27 AM

 
Blogger Suthnuh said...

Go for it! I love these things.

9:13 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home